The midi keyboard still remains essential for any music studio setup. Luckily, getting one no longer has to be a massive financial investment.
Midi is the protocol used to activate virtual instruments using note data played on a keyboard. When used to play instruments on the computer, the midi keyboard offers that natural feel and experience and is far more preferable and convenient to use than the mouse. You really do not require any form of professional skills to play the midi keyboard.
5. Alesis V25 | 25-Key USB MIDI Keyboard & Drum Pad Controller
The Alesis V25 comes with twenty-five full-size keys and is the perfect keyboard for music producers who want to have control over virtual instruments and plug-ins. Its keys have a square-shaped front and their sensitivity can be adjusted. This square-shaped front prevents dust from getting underneath the keys. It features eight drum pads that respond very well to pressure and velocity.
There are also four knobs and four buttons, a modulation wheel and a pitch wheel. These features offer expressive performance and control. This keyboard has a sustain-pedal input and is USB powered (simply connect the midi keyboard to a computer with USB).
The Alesis V25 gives you full control over music software on your computer without hindering your performance. Another good thing about this instrument is that you can change the pad behavior mode to either latch or momentarily.
One drawback is that the pads may not perform so well compared to some other more expensive keyboards, but then overall, it is a very good and responsive keyboard.
4. Akai Professional LPK25 | 25-Key Ultra-Portable USB MIDI Keyboard Controller for Laptops
This one is a midi keyboard with twenty-one keys. You will really enjoy playing this instrument as it offers you an expressive playing experience with computer-based sequencers, DAW (digital audio workstation), etc. this velocity-sensitive keys midi keyboard is very portable and comes with various software for creating almost every kind of music. With its built-in arpeggiator, you can produce modern music with more flexibility.
The Akai Professional LPK25 with 25 keys is compatible with Mac and PC. It is a plug-and-play device and does not require any driver installation. It works well with Cubase, logic, studio one, and pro tool. It is also very compatible with Ableton, reaper, digital performer and more. Like many other midi keyboards, this one is also powered by connecting it to your computer using a USB. No additional cable is needed for connection.
3. Midi Plus AKM320 midi plus MIDI Keyboard Controller
This thirty-two-note key keyboard features “up and down” octave buttons and transpose buttons. There is also the sustain switch interface, a modulation wheel and a pitch wheel. It is also powered by connecting a USB to the computer. Its velocity-sensitive keys make the operation quite easy. With a simple interface design, a thin and lightweight design, this device won’t occupy much space in the studio and is very convenient to carry around.
It has a dimension of 18.1” x 4.9” x 1.2” and weighs 1.6 lbs. this midi keyboard has many features that make it easy to produce and edit your electronic music and is also the perfect controller to play midi with creativity.
The midi plus AKM320 midi plus MIDI Keyboard Controller is “plug and play” and it doesn’t require any driver to be installed. All you have to do is plug and start playing your music.
2. M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 | 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
This is an ideal midi keyboard for creating music. It is also very good for playing those virtual instruments. To power, this device simply connects to your computer using a USB. It has features that allow you to easily control your music software without even touching your mouse. It has a lightweight and is also very portable making it easy to move around.
This is a very nice instrument if you are not looking for something too fancy. This keyboard with its great key response will provide any budding keyboard player with so many options that can aid their playing skills.
One trouble with this device though is that it is not “plug and play”, you need to download a file and go into some settings to set up the software and this can take some time. Nevertheless, it is worth the price.
1. Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII | 25-Key Ultra-Portable USB MIDI Drum Pad & Keyboard Controller
It is a very portable keyboard that can easily fit into your backpack and won’t take up much space in your studio because of its small size. It has a length of 12.4 inches and weighs 1.6 pounds. To power this device, you can connect it to your computer using a USB. It features all you need to edit and play your music.
It also comes with virtual-instrument download features. This 25-key midi keyboard has eight rubber drum pads and 8 control knobs. The Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII also features the groundbreaking software platform “VIP3.0” that helps musicians achieve powerful and flexible hands-on control for virtual effects and virtual instrument collections.
This keyboard with its velocity-sensitive keys helps improve your creative ability whenever you get inspired. It is a nice piece of an instrument for both beginners and professionals and comes at an affordable price.
Here are certain questions you need to ask yourself before getting a midi keyboard:
How many keys would you like to have on your keyboard?
The most popular is the 49 keys keyboard but there are several other options out there like: 25 keys, 32 keys, 37 keys, 61 keys and the 88 keys (which is equivalent to a real piano). You can go for any one that suits your purpose best.
What is your budget?
There are several keyboards with varying prices. Understandably, those with a higher number of keys have a higher price tag. Some may come with other software packages which sometimes may have an effect on price and so you should take note of this.
Do you want a midi keyboard with midi pads?
Many keyboards now come with drum pads. This drum pad can be used to play different sounds assigned to it. You may also choose to get a drum machine separately. It is all a matter of choice.
Q: What is the best keyboard for home recording?
A: With deep and intuitive Ableton Live controls it’s one of the best MIDI keyboards for Ableton Live. A dedicated and creative arpeggiator is given in this keyboard to control your grooves and synths easily. The fixed Chord mode allows you to play a chord with one finger.
Q: What is the best MIDI keyboard software?
A: Piano Time – Key mapping feature GarageBand – EQ and compression features Synthesia – Similar to Guitar Hero Piano 10 – XScore files support MidiEditor – Event quantization Cakewalk by Bandlab – With the step sequencer
Q: What is the best keyboard for FL Studio?
A: Akai Professional MPK Mini MK3 – Editor’s Choice. … Arturia MiniLab MkII 25 Slim-Key Controller – Best 25-Key Controller. … Alesis V25 – Best for Professionals. … Novation Launchkey Mini MK2 – Best for Traveling. … Nektar Panorama P6 – Upgrade Pick. … Korg NanoKEY2 – Best for Drum Patterns. … MIDIPLUS AKM320 – Best Value. …
Q: What is the best keyboard for music?
A: – Reviews Yamaha EZ-220 61-keys Casio Casiotone Alesis 61-Keys Best Choice Products 61-Keys Beginners Hamzer 61-Keys – What Is It – What Features to Compare – Differences Between Music Keyboards and Pianos.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- AKM320L is an upgraded version of AKM320, with new design of key larger, better key action and more features, give you a better music creation...
- The keyboard remain compact design but more stable on the desk also small enough to easy carry out, so you can edit music everywhere
- 32 keys / velocity sensitive / three triggered / mid size key
- Added transposition /-, REVERB (ON / OFF), speed, curve (NORM / HEAVY / SOFT / VEL), Arpeggio mode (ARP mode), Arp TIME, and keyboard scale (SCALE)...
- sustain pedal input port / MIDI OUT / USB interface. Included Cubase LE 10.5 Download Access Code.
- CLEAN DESIGN KEYS WITH A VELOCITY-SENSITIVE KEYS-Sometimes you just need more! Our N-32 MIDI keyboard offers you more keys for your convenience....
- CAPTURING YOUR CREATIVE MUSICAL IDEAS ANYWHERE ON THE GO-Write music on the road with ease. Now you can always take the compact and lightweight N-32...
- EXCELLENT MOBILE DEVICES COMPATIBILITY-Just plug and play with Mac or PC with using the USB-MIDI output without any software driver installation. In...
- SIMPLE LAYOUT AND USER-FRIENDLY FUNCTIONING KEYS-The N-32 has an easy-to-learn layout for the advanced beginners. Besides the 4 user programmable...
- VISUAL ASSISTANCE WITH 'BREATHING LIGHT' -Pitch bend + modulation provide a rich and expressive timbre. The breathing light effect on the wheel will...
- 25-key velocity-sensitive mini keyboard
- Programmable master encoder, eight MIDI assignable knobs and transport control for hands-on control over your DAW and virtual instruments
- Four velocity-sensitive trigger pads (two banks each) with after touch for drum sounds and samples
- Dedicated Octave and Sustain buttons, Pitch Bend and Modulation strips
- iPad and USB bus powered
- 🎹 [Portable Beat Maker Machine] Compact Worlde Tunamini midi keyboard introduces infinite controllability to your inspiration. Plug and play...
- 🎹 [Get Music Easily Under Control] 8 knobs, 8 sliders, 8 memory banks, 8 presets, mod and pitch bend ribbons, and octave buttons within reach...
- ✨ [Fascinating Beat Pad] Midi keyboard with drum pads has RGB colors assignable via the editor, providing rich visual feedback. Combining...
- 🎹 [Considerate Design for Users] Convenient keyboard layout adds comfort and swiftness for control, and sufficiently achieves flexible...
- 💗 [Sincere Customer Service] We were keenly aware of what we should do to help beginners to start, so we prepared detailed user guides in word...
- 🎹【25 Velocity Sensitive Keys】USB powered MIDI controller with 25 mini MIDI keyboard velocity-sensitive keys for beat maker, studio production,...
- 🎹【8 Drum Pads&8 faders&8 Knobs】8 RGB backlit pads with high quality velocity & pressure sensitive performance, can be assigned easily as pads,...
- 🎹【OLED Display&Pitch/Modulation Touch 】2 touch sensors of dynamic pitch bend and modulation touch strips; Play and record transport control...
- 🎹【3.5mm MIDI Out Interface】This MIDI keyboard Controller can connect to your hardware with a standred 3.5mm TRS MIDI Out cable(included)....
- 🕵️ 【Small Tips】Please read the instruction carefully before use.We provide 24-hour service and we will try our best to help you if there is...
- 25 velocity-sensitive keys.
- 8 backlit trigger pads.
- 4 MIDI control groups.
- 4 banks for different settings
- 8 control buttons: C-C Mod, Mod, Bank, Prog, Pitch down / Pitch up, Octave down / Octave up.