Using a quality microphone preamp is one device that would help in powering up your microphone when you perform or when you record but there are several factors that you need to consider when choosing the one that is good for you.
These factors include:
- Price point
- Ins and Outs
- Types of preamp
- Number of channels
- Additional features
Without wasting much of your time, come with us as we show you the best microphone preamps that you don’t have to spend much to acquire. These preamps are carefully selected to match your five hundred dollar budget.
5. Golden Age Project Pre73 JR Compact Vintage Style
This is another quality microphone preamp from the golden age project and it still uses a well-balanced output and input with a discrete signal path like its previous models.
One of the benefits that come with using this golden age project is it allows you to produce musical and classical sounds and despite being compact, the golden age project microphone preamp comes with everything you need to make great sounds during recordings.
Thanks to its smaller format design, you won’t have any issues with mounting this device.
4. Rolls MP13 Mini Single Ch. Mic Preamp
When it comes to providing you with everything you need in a microphone preamp, you can trust and rely on the Rlls MP13 mini single channel Microphone preamp to get every task done.
Despite featuring a simple design and looking small and compact this quality microphone preamp would deliver impressive and amazing results.
Clip indicator, single gain control, ¼ and XLR outputs and inputs are some of the notable features that come with using the rolls mini single microphone preamp and thanks to its phantom power you rest assured that you can use this microphone preamp with a condenser microphone.
Its full package comes with a power adapter and you can make use of this microphone preamp with a stereo headphone or with an unbalanced mono output.
3. Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII Mic Preamp
This is an instrument and line pre-amplifier with signal paths that makes use of discrete components like transistors, capacitors and resistors.
It boasts of transformer balanced output and input which makes use of two various transformers with one designed for a specific purpose and this is exactly the same way integrated circuits were designed in the past.
This Golden Age project microphone preamp will deliver sweet, punchy and warm sounds which you would evidently on any recording and its versatile sounds are sounds that you can easily identify in most genres and sound sources.
2. IK Multimedia iRig Pre microphone preamp for smartphones
The IK Multimedia iRig Pre microphone preamp is specially designed to work with tablets and smartphones and using this quality microphone preamp enables you to spot adjustable gain so as to dial in the right signal level.
Another advantage that comes with using this top-quality microphone preamp from IK multimedia is it boasts of a +48v phantom power which allows you to make use of it together with a condenser microphone without experiencing any hiccups.
Its headphones output makes way for real-time monitoring together with supported apps.
It is also necessary to note that this microphone preamp enables you to carry out professional recording using any microphone of your choice in any situation.
It can also work with any video or audio recording app thanks to its standard headphone jack.
1. ART Pro MPA II Two-Channel Discrete Class-A Mic Preamp
Featuring a next-generation technology the Art pro-MPAII two-channel preamp is certainly one preamp that would guarantee top quality and impressive microphone performance.
Each of these preamps boasts of variable input impedance, phantom power and an input circuit which ensures that the overall performance of a ribbon microphone or dynamic microphone gets improved.
One of the impressive features of this top-quality preamp is it can be configured easily for stereo or dual-mono operation and it is also designed to function at either a high or low plate voltage which therefore makes way for wider variation of performance and tone.
Housed in a quality steel chassis, you rest assured that this microphone preamp is reliable and would last for a long while.
Conclusion - What You Should Know
Several specific requirements together with various sounds are some of the factors that we have carefully considered when rounding up this product and you rest assured that these products are highly durable which guarantees that you won’t be getting a replacement anytime soon.
Feel free to get any of the models listed above and start enjoying all the benefits that it brings.
Q: How to make a microphone preamplifier?
A: An Electret microphone or audio from a phone is considered as the input. ... This signal is amplified according to the gain set by the POT. The input signal, which is in the order of a few millivolts is amplified to a few volts. ... The output of the preamplifier is given to the non-inverting terminal of the audio amplifier.
Q: Do you need a mic preamp?
A: You see, any mic input on your interface has to have a preamp. So you don’t need to go out and buy an additional mic preamp. Your interface’s built-in mic preamps serve the purpose of amplifying your mic input from mic level to line level.
Q: How to build an electret microphone circuit?
A: Soldering Iron Soldering Wire Vero board.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Dual path, with both 12AX7 vacuum tube and solid-state gain stages
- Combo mic/instrument inputs with class A XMAX mic Preamplifiers and 48V phantom power
- Tube drive tube-saturation control
- Illuminated Analog VU input-level meter
- 80 Hz high-pass filter, -20 dB pad, polarity-reverse switch
- Y.D.F Audio Interface Compatible with popular recording software, including Avid pro tools, Ableton live, Steinberg Cubase, etc.
- Audiophile 48 kHz resolution for professional audio quality. One instrument input and One microphone input with low-noise, high-headroom, Class mic...
- 2x2 USB audio interface for recording microphones and instruments.
- Studio-grade converters for 24-bit/96 kHz recording.
- Attention: No DAW Recording Software included, you need to download the recording software yourself.
- Pro performance with the finest pre-amps - Achieve a brighter and a more open recording thanks to the best performing mic pre-amps the Scarlett range...
- Get the perfect guitar take - There’s no need to sacrifice your tone with the high headroom instrument input when recording your guitar and basses....
- Studio quality recordings for your music and podcasts - You can achieve professional sounding recordings with Scarlett’s high-performance converters...
- Low-noise for crystal clear listening - Two low-noise balanced outputs provide clean audio playback. Hear all the details and nuances of your own...
- Easy Start - It’s easier than ever to get up and running with your Scarlett with our online tool, Easy Start. Whether you’re looking to record or...
- Update the firmware from the official website for the first playing.
- TSAC-HD Pre-Effects and Amp Modeling algorithm providing optimum sound response and play ability. CORE-IMAGE Post-Effects sound library offering you...
- IR (Impulse Response), USB audio stream (recording interface with re-amp function), and more.
- Load 3rd-party IRs to expand sound ability,56 drum beats and 60 seconds Phrase Loop Synchronization with Rhythm.
- Expression Pedal can be used to control the volume or the effects.
- With a high-quality preamp, dual effects section, tone controls, a compressor, level booster and a balanced D.I. — it’s got everything you need in...
- Its analog signal path goes from end to end — from preamp to output — to give acoustic musicians a richer tonal quality
- Flexible outputs include a 1/4″ amplifier output and XLR D.I. output for the lowest noise possible
- With Fishman, you get quality discrete class-A signal conditioning created by the leader in instrument preamp design
- Legendary 4-band equalizer design provides superior tone control for any acoustic instrument
- 4U space studio rack with 19“ width and 12” depth
- 10/32 rack rails installed and ships fully assembled
- Turret design with 20 degree slant for easy equipment operation
- Made from ultra-durable 5/8“ birch plywood, finished with a weathered gray coat
- Rack rail screws included
- Dimensions: 5.0"D x 5.5"W x 2.0"H
- Weight: 1.5 lbs
- Rugged all-steel construction
- Designed for years of continuous, reliable performance
- 1 year warranty